Monday, July 26, 2010

Threading

I've always had problems with plucking my eye brows, which isn't a good thing because I have eye brows that would make Chewbacca proud. The first couple times I plucked, my eye brows bled. Probably because I was inexperienced and didn't pluck fast enough, but that's because it HURT like hell every hair I did. I tried using a warm compress before hand, I tried icing them afterward, nothing really helped. I kind of learned to deal with it, and the pain slightly lessened over time. Needless to say I only pluck from time to time (or pretty much never) ha ha.

Recently in malls, I've been noticing stands that offer eyebrow threading. Which I was extremely intrigued by, mainly because it looked like it didn't really hurt. Just soft little strings, nothing like the cold surgical steel of tweezers (ok I'm slightly dramatic). So when I was out shopping with my sister when she was visiting me, we saw a salon that offered it. I mentioned that I thought it was an intriguing idea and my sister said she always wanted to see someone get it done. Since I was the one with ragingly out of control eyebrows obvious candidate and she offered to pay for it (for my sake of course), we went into the salon.

It was only $10 to get the eyebrows done so I agreed to it, and next thing I know I'm pretty much laying down in a salon chair awkwardly pulling the skin around my eyes taut. So my initial conception that this wouldn't hurt... WAS COMPLETELY WRONG. I cried the first brow she did. Sure I can blame it on my eye watering from the stinging, but the hell with being tough, it hurt like a bitch! Fortunately it only lasted about 60 seconds then she went onto the other eye, which to be fair wasn't as bad now that I was prepared for it. That eye didn't "water."

She finishes and I sit up and look in the mirror... and I have perfect eyebrows staring back it me. I didn't think my eyebrows were capable of looking that good. And it only took about 2 minutes. So yes, despite the pain, I will be going back because 2 minutes beats the 10-20 I normally have to take plucking so might was well get it all over with at once. And it lasts 6 weeks!!! I'm thinking about getting my upper lip done next time but I'm not sure if I can handle it...

And if you think I am exaggerating about my eyebrows, I have had several people I work with randomly tell me I look really good and ask if I've changed my makeup/hair. I then inform them that no, I have not, but I did get the caterpillars that used to be on my face taken off, and replaced with the perfect movie star brows that now adorn my face.

7 comments:

linnykins said...

I'm not a fan of plucking/threading eyebrows either, but the results make a difference. The things we put up with, right? Although plucking right after a shower helps, it's not so sore.

Re. wasabi peas - you can buy them like that! I get mine from bulk bins at the supermarket, but I'm not sure what you have over where you are.

Phoenix said...

Ok I'm going to look into that because they sound amazing!

Amie said...

I got mine waxed in HS - we did a production of Guys & Dolls and they sent all the girls to a salon to learn how to do our hair and get our brows done (free! win.) and I thought I was going to die. SO painful. And red and puffy and I cry like an idiot, not form the pain but because my eyes can't help but water. And I hate plucking. I always miss a bunch and end up uneven. I've been curious about threading but am overall so darn lazy about my brows, hair, and nails that I haven't bothered to try. But I might have to. I know it hurts, but they look FANTASTIC after threading. Which is totally worth a try.

Phoenix said...

Yep sounds just like me. Waxing has always terrified me so I've never done it. But compared to plucking, threading is quick, lasts a lot longer, and looks amazing so I'm an official fan now.

T. The Destructor said...

I can't believe this is the first time I'm visiting your blog--I love it! I work near a frou-frou salon and I always see girls getting the 'threading' but I heard someone once say that pushing out her 2nd child was less painful so I kind of steered clear. But, now that you have said this, I might try it ONCE.

Phoenix said...

Just make sure it's someone that has been doing it awhile. I was reading about how someone had it done by a new person and it took almost 10 mins for each eyebrow. OUCHHHHHH. The thing that I liked about it was it was so quick.

Dysfunktional said...

Kudos to you. I tried the whole threading thing but the pain was too much. I would start tearing up even before I got there. :).

I've heard putting some Aloe when it's done helps.

Post a Comment