Saturday, July 31, 2010

Talking

So to give you some background on the story I'm about to tell... I have a manager at work and he's a pretty nice guy. He's pretty good to the employees so it's nice working for him. But he has this habit of treating people like they're stupid when they do something he considers... well stupid. I saw a woman come up to him one time and ask what our shaken ice tea was. He replied with "It's ice tea, that we shake" along with a semi disgusted expression on his face. Which is slightly funny, but it's also kind of cruel sometimes. So needless to say his customer service skills aren't amazing by any means.


Today I had a customer come up to me and order a smoothie. I rang her up and just as I was finishing she asked if I gave her the 10 cent discount for bringing her own cup in. I hadn't, so I called my manager up (since I can't do them myself) to give her the 10 cent refund. When he came up, he asked what I needed and I told him and he started laughing and saying "Oh damn, you ladies are ridiculous" and they started joking back and forth. The thing is, is that I know my manager doesn't joke about stuff like that really. He just insults people with a smile and they think he is kidding when he really is not. It's kind of amusing to a certain extent, as long as the other people don't catch on. Then it just becomes embarrassing, so I try to stay out of those situations.

So the ladies got their refund and went to sit down. I went to the back and started washing dishes and my manager came back and started talking about how it was so funny people never know he was joking and that he thought they were idiots, and he could tell them that and they thought he wasn't serious... and he was saying it so LOUD ha ha ha. I just kind of nodded and went on washing dishes and eventually he went back up front. He was quickly back though with a concerned look on his face asking "Do you think all the people out in the cafe heard me? I went out there and they all looked at my funny all at once."

I kind of mumbled an "I don't know..." and kept my head low trying not to laugh at the fact that he had been so blatantly caught. Just goes to show that you shouldn't be saying anything about someone, that you don't want them to hear.

3 comments:

Sadako said...

Whoa--that sounds really embarrassing!

Dysfunktional said...

What's that rule again? If you can't put it on the front page of the NY Times, don't say it out loud. Maybe next time he won't make fun of the customers so loud.

Phoenix said...

Yah that's why I never make fun of customers, ever.

Post a Comment