Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Are you serious?!

So recently I've had some friends posting things as their status on facebook.com that frankly, have pissed me off. I'm not mad at the people posting it, but I'd like to get my hands on the asshole that wrote this. It's about the crisis over in Hatti and people wanting to help them out. Here is one of them for you to read:


America: the only country where we have homeless without shelter, children going to bed without eating, elderly going without needed meds, and mentally ill without treatment - yet we have a benefit for the people of Haiti on 12 TV stations. 99% of people won't have the guts to copy and repost this!



Now before you go all patriotic on me and say they're right, listen to what I have to say. America is one of the wealthiest nations in the world, Hatti... is one of the poorest. Our poverty... doesn't even compare to the poverty of other countries. I know, I've actually been out of this country and seen it.

Last time I checked there were shelters for the homeless here. Right? While it may not service all of them (probably far from it actually) but they still are there and still are trying to help. BEFORE this disaster, 5 million of Hatti's 8.5 million people were homeless. Add that onto the rest that were made homeless from the earthquake.
http://www.assatashakur.org/forum/afrikan-world-news/33302-5-million-out-haitis-8-5-million-people-homeless.html

Children going to bed without eating? How many children do you know that have gone to bed without eating something? I've worked with the "poverty" in our nation. That rarely happens. Trying being a child in Africa with no parents, living in a reeking, hot garbage dump, hoping you get some scrap of food that day. Hoping.

Elderly going without meds? We are a nation of drugs. 100,000 people DIE every year from receiving the wrong medication! We have programs to help ease the cost for the elderly. So we shouldn't send funds to help pay for antibiotics and treatment for people injured in the earthquake? Wow.
http://www.articlesbase.com/health-articles/medication-mistakes-that-can-kill-1673355.html

To the person who can only think of themselves: Fuck you for trying to make me feel guilty about helping my fellow human beings. Fuck you for making this an issue between "us" and "them". Fuck you for living in your air conditioned/heated home, driving your own car, eating 3 meals a day, and trying to make people conserned about humanity look like they are selfish.

No comments:

Post a Comment