Thursday, October 14, 2010

Reading

I finally started reading again. I read To Kill A Mockingbird. I know most people read it as a requirement in high school, but since I was homeschooled I missed that memo. It is one of the best books I have read in a very, very long time.






It's message is so simple and so pure. Atticus is the human being I hope to become someday. Someone who tried to see everyone from a different perspective. Who is always willing to step outside of what things look like, and see where people are really coming from. To see the beauty of others for what they really are. I finished the book in 2 days, and had an extremely difficult time at work concentrating on what I was supposed to be doing because my head was caught up in this story. Ridiculous I know but I'm like that when it comes to books. My mom used to have to physically shake my arm to get me to respond when I was younger, because I was so caught up in a book that I wouldn't hear what anyone was saying to me. I'm sure everyone thought I was destined to be a huge nerd ha ha.

I've always tried to see people from their own perspective. More so at other times. I guess for me this was just a gentle reminder that life isn't all about me and how I perceive it. That sometimes seeing things from other peoples perspectives can be heartbreaking, but at the same time completely rewarding. I don't want to become someone who is so narrow minded that they can only see things how they want to. I want to live, and experience life. I want to learn how to love the unlovable, and see the real hidden beauty in people.

2 comments:

J-Roll said...

I admired Atticus the most when I read that selection in high school. It's a wonderful book, and the movie was good too.

Rockabilly Hippie said...

I didn't read it either as I was also homeschooled, but you've inspired me! I'm going to stop by the library when I get back to Tennessee :-) Thanks!

Post a Comment