Friday, October 8, 2010

Relief

The weather has FINALLY cooled down. I officially survived my first Phoenix summer. People warned me about it, unfortunately they warned me about the wrong thing. They warned me it was going to be hot (which it was, and I handled just fine), what they didn't want me about was the electric bills. I didn't not pass out from heat exhaustion once, but I did almost pass out when I saw the bill. It was TRIPLE what it normally was. Usually it's a little above $100. IT WAS $300!!!! That's almost 42 hours of my life that I have to work at Barnes & Noble for my really small amount of hourly pay. And $250 the months after that. Why didn't anyone tell me? I did manage to survive it though, and I'll be sure to save up for next year when it will again be ridiculously expensive to stay keep a house at 78 degrees.

It's also monsoon season which means crazy rains which also (thankfully) means cooler weather. It's been storming the past couple days and I'm loving it. Finally I get to bring out some cute boots and scarves and pretend like it's fall. I needed to go grocery shopping yesterday so I got out my umbrella and went to the grocery store, got quite a bit of food since we were almost out of everything, and drove back home. My covered parking is about 100 yrds away from my apartment so I had to carry the 6 bags/milk/10 pack of toilet paper back through the rain with my purse and holding the umbrella. Which I was doing quite successfully... until I got to the speed bump. They're painted this speed bump every few months since I've been here and consequently it's very slick. I've slipped on it several times before, in dry weather, so you'd think I would have avoided it. Wrong. I completely forgot, slipped and fell onto my knees in a puddle while rain was pouring down. And the icing on the cake here? A little boy and girl playing out in the rain stopped and giggled at my misfortune.

2 comments:

Amie said...

If you can get a timer for the AC, it'll save your life. Our bill was atrocious for July (it was 95+ every day in Chicago this summer) but I set the timers to be 83 during the day, 78 from like 6-10pm, and then 71 from 10-4am or something. Saved us $100 in August.

Phoenix said...

That is a really good idea. I didn't know those existed. I'd usually just set it to 80 during the day, but I forgot a lot. Thanks!

Post a Comment