Monday, October 4, 2010

Waitressing

I was waitressing a few nights ago. We have 9 tables that are our more private tables to sit at, in the Melting Pot, and these are the tables that have closeable curtains at the entrance. So basically no one can see into them. We always knock on the outside, before we open the curtains, because we've all heard the stories of servers who didn't, and opened the curtains to find an old woman under the table doing you know what, and similar stories like that. Use your imagination and I'm pretty sure it's been done.  Which is fine, just stop doing it when I show up. The section of tables I was serving a few nights ago was in the "curtains" as we call them. I've worked in them before and never really had any problems at all really. No awkward moments, nothing odd. Until a few nights ago.
One of the first couples I waited on was really nice. They introduced me to themselves by name and shook my hand, and basically treated me like a human being which is pretty nice when you're a waitress. We traded stories and were having a great time. Then the chocolate fondue came out and when I came back to check on how it was I knocked, but not loud enough because her neck was covered in chocolate and he was licking it off. I also walked in on them making out which honestly, I don't mind, it was just the first time I had done that  with any of the people I was waiting on.
So then I get the next group of people coming in. Again really nice and chatty, easy to please. There were 2 couples at this table so they entertained themselves which again, made my job a little easier. They were sitting at a booth with each couple on either side. So part way through their meal bring out salad's and as I'm setting them on the table the guys switch theirs. I thought they might have agreed to switch earlier and didn't really think anything of it until one of the guys asked for another drink. I asked if he wanted another Manhattan and he responded with no, that he was the one drinking beer. It was then that a little light bulb went on in my head (I'm not the sharpest crayon in the box sometimes, especially when I'm rushed or busy) and I realized that the husbands had switched spots at the table. They were wearing the same color shirts and looked sort of similar so that's why it took me a minute to figure out. And these guys had their hands on the new woman's thighs, just like they had with the woman they were sitting with before. These people were swingers!
 For some reason when ever someone says "swingers" I always envision people square dancing. Not really sure why, but they should look into changing what they call them selves for sure. I'd never really met any (at least that I knew of). That lifestyle isn't really for me, but I'm not one to judge anyone. They were really nice to me too and in my little waitressing world, that's really all I care about ha ha.

3 comments:

Amie said...

Hilarious! I've never been to the Melting Pot, so I didn't know about the curtained booths- how much antiseptic is necessary as part of busing? You seriously have the best attitude to deal with all of this, though. I feel like most people wouldn't be as tolerant.

Associate Girl said...

Excellent! I love crazy job stories.
I agree with Amie, you do have a great attitude.

Phoenix said...

In the waitressing profession you either have to keep up a good attitude, or turn into one of those bitchy waitresses that hate everyone. I try to be the former as often as I can ;)

Post a Comment