Monday, April 19, 2010

Rain

You never realize how good life is at the time you're living it, until it changes. You're always so focused on the little things that are bothering you to stop, and just truly enjoy the good things in your life. And when it changes, you suddenly realize how truly blessed you were, and know that it can never be that way again.

Life changes. Sometimes, it changes for good, and sometimes for bad. The only thing you can be sure of, is that it will change. What you do with the change is entirely up to you, but it's a sad parting because even if life does get better in some ways, in other ways you can never have it back the way it was.

It can never be the way it was.

I think childhood is like that. At least I hope it is for everyone, although I know a lot of kids don't have happy childhoods. For me though, I was blessed with parents who gave us that. So many times, I just wish I could go back to that happiness, having our family all together and just... living and being together. I was always so focused on the more negative things though when I was a kid, how mom wouldn't let me have candy, or my friend couldn't come over. Really stupid petty things, and I wish I could go back and tell myself to just enjoy life. Just stop, look around at the people who love you, and just appreciate it.

We got a call this morning from the Army. My brother is in Afghanistan and they called to tell us he had been in an accident, and that his right hand had been shot with a .50 cal gun. If you don't know what those are, they and HUGE guns. He will lose a couple fingers, we're not sure what exactly though. I just want him home alive, and that fact that he is coming back alive makes me so grateful. I was just hoping against hope that he would come back uninjured. But the more I learn about war, the more I realize that no one comes back whole. Whether it's physical or mental, it harms some part of them.

The question is, am I going to stop now and appreciate what I do have? Will I be grateful for the time I do now have with him? Or will I dwell on his loss? Please God help me appreciate that my brother is coming back and that I get to have him in my life for awhile longer.

4 comments:

Jordan said...

My brother just finished his second tour in Iraq. He was wounded twice. I know how nerve wracking it is to have a loved one so far away in such a scary situation, while you are helpless to do anything but pray for their safe return.
I am happy he is going to be alright.

Phoenix said...

Yah I had to keep telling myself that he's coming home, and he's alive. I don't need anything more.
Thanks for the prayers :)

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

All they really need when they come back is a support system that continuously reminds them that they did a great thing. I may hate those wars and those that profit from them but you brother is a hero for doing what he did for his country. Never stop reminding of that.

Phoenix said...

That's very true. He is an absolute hero in my family's eyes, thanks for reminding me to keep telling him :)

Post a Comment