Saturday, August 21, 2010

Adoption

I was cleaning my section at the waitressing job I have, a few nights ago. It takes a little while to get everything wiped down on the tables and make sure it's clean a restocked. As I was wiping down the tables, a large group of people near my section were talking. A woman was talking about a couple she knew, who was adopting from oversea some where. A man at the table interrupted her and said "Why can't people adopt from the United States? Why do they always go out of the country when we have kids here that need homes?" And it made me really sad.

I do think American children need loving homes, just as much as any other child. The difference though, is that 17 million children die of starvation each year in Africa alone. That doesn't even touch a lot of the other children around the other world needing adoption. How many of the kids we can adopt here in the US, die from starvation? None of them. So if I had to pick, I would pick to save the life of a child that could potentially die from the conditions they live in. I don't think it was really fair for that man to feel the way he did.

I also think adoption is one of the best things you can do in this world, so whether someone adopts from America, or from anywhere else, I think they are doing an amazing and beautiful thing. They should never be criticized for their decision to do so.

3 comments:

Amie said...

I would love to adopt. I've always felt that it is kind of selfish to bring a new kid into the world when there are already so many here who need someone to love them and take care of them.

Most people go international because you can get a baby that way. Babies are hard to get in the U.S., but we have gazillions of older kids who need homes too. And yet, I'd probably want a baby too. Stupid (me).

Phoenix said...

Yah I understand wanting a baby. I probably would too honestly. But either way, adopting is going to give a baby/child a new life and no matter what it is, I think it's wonderful when people adopt.

Erini CS said...

Right there with you.

I've already told my family I plan on adopting. They know once I hit 30 I'm going to start the long process so that hopefully when I'm around 35 I can have my little kidlet or two.

But yes, I'll probably look overseas. ... And choose to foster kids here. At least that's the idea as of now. We'll see where life takes me.

Post a Comment