Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Tacky

I can usually deal with customers complaining, but this one was especially good today. This conversation takes place after the customer and her husband order and are going to pay.


Me: I'm sorry ma'am, we don't accept Starbucks gift cards. Only Barnes & Noble gift cards.

I have this conversation SEVERAL times a day, every day I work. I'm patient because I understand it is confusing, but I don't like it when people treat me like it's my fault.

Woman: This is a Starbucks.

I'm pretty sure I know where I work and get my paychecks from, ma'am.

Me: Actually we are a Barnes & Noble Cafe, and Starbucks is the brand of coffee we serve... but we're not owned by them.

Woman: That's ridiculous. I can't believe you'd do that. Let's go to Starbucks.

As if the threat of her leaving might magically make us accept the gift cards. I can't. I would take your card if I could, but I can't. 

So she turns to go, and her husband thinks she's being slightly ridiculous, so he hands me his debit card to pay. And the woman continues to complain.

Woman: This is ridiculous, it makes this place so... tacky. It's tacky that you don't accept Starbucks gift cards.

No it doesn't, but the leopard print leggings you are wearing as pants, those definitely are tacky. I'm not really sure you realize this but, I'm not getting paid enough to put up with your crap and make your coffee. So I'm just going to make your coffee and let you go on with your obviously happy life.

No comments:

Post a Comment