Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Banks

I've never really liked banks. Maybe it's due to the fact that I rarely have a lot of money ha ha. They've always just made me feel uncomfortable and I used to hate them as a teenager because any time I went over on my account they would rape me with a $35 fee, repeatedly.

But today, I decided to open a savings account. It was spur the moment, sort of an impulse buy for savings (like how I just spent $30 at the dollar store, how does that happen?) but better because I get to keep the money. It's the adult thing to do right? So my teller introduces me to a short man named Mario who apparently is a banker and going to solve all of my saving (not plumbing) needs.  Now if I'd really thought this through, I probably wouldn't have picked today because I haven't showered for awhile, and I was just planning on running quick errands where no one would have time to see much of me. So I'm sitting in his office thinking about my decision and remembering another reason why I don't like banks... it takes FOREVER to do anything.

I also realize that this morning, when it was hot, I thought it would be a fantastic idea to wear shorts, without really thinking about the last time I shaved my legs (6 DAYS AGO). So I'm staring at my amazingly hairy calves thinking about how it will be ok, because he is on the other side of the desk. Then another teller walks in and is standing next to me talking to him, while I'm awkwardly trying to get as much of my lower leg under his desk so the teller won't see them, and silently pray that they won't notice my greasy roots. She leaves after awhile but keeps coming back which keeps me repeating the trying to shove my legs under the desk. Fortunately she didn't notice anything, as least I don't think she did because I didn't see any disgusted looks on her face when she looked at me which is always a good thing. One of these days I'll have everything together and look good all the time... hopefully.

So now I am the owner of a savings account, which I haven't had since I was 12. I'm hoping to start saving for a honeymoon! I really want to go somewhere along the Mediterranean and it is EXPENSIVE, so the earlier I start the better right?

3 comments:

Living Shallow, Living Well said...

Ha ha- the $30 you spent at the dollar store was probably a ton of stuff you needed. When I walk around there I'm always like, "well...it's ONLY a dollar." And then like an hour later I'm like $50 bucks in.

Well done on the savings account!

Amie said...

Depends where you go- there are some FANTASTIC deals in Greece these days due to their economic problems and the protests they've caused. The protests are on the mainland- go to an island. Google some pics of Santorini and you'll be sold.

Phoenix said...

Yeah dollar stores are basically impulse buying central. I just can't control myself! But it was things I needed.

GREAT idea! Thank you so much, I'd LOVE to go to Greece :)

Post a Comment