Thursday, June 24, 2010

Greece

I talked about wanting to take my future honeymoon somewhere in Europe a few days ago, and Amie suggested Santorini in Greece. Uhh best idea ever. I promptly spent the next 4 hours (obsessive much?) looking at pictures are researching different travel packages, which as she said, were pretty affordable.


This is Fira, the most populous city on the island. Look at how beautiful it is! It looks like the city Lena, from the Sisterhood of the dropping Traveling Pants, visited.

I can't even imagine how great that would be to go there. I'd have to fly from Athens to get there so I'd probably plan a couple days for us in Athens. Mainly because I LOVE world history (don't judge me, I was homeschooled) and would get to drool over things like the Acropolis.

Here is the dilemma though. While going there is definitely much more affordable than other places in Europe, it still it pretty expensive. And while browsing the hundreds of sites researching it, I came to find out it is a hot spot for weddings (no kidding right?). Would that be really selfish to get married there? My family wouldn't be able to afford to go... and would I even want to get married without them being present? Probably not. But we are going to be paying for our own wedding... so if we combined the expense of a wedding into a destination like that it would be so much cheaper. Why are weddings so ridiculously expensive anyways? A small wedding is starting to look more, and more attractive.

On another note I'm still watching Dollhouse where ever I can find it on the internet. Have you ever tried to watching an entire series online from one source? It's impossible! It's ridiculous and I feel like a crack addict searching all these websites trying to get my next fix/episode. Anyways that's what I'm off to trying to do now... wish me luck?

3 comments:

Amie said...

It is where Lena went, but it's SO much prettier than it was in that movie. When I was there, we took the ferry from Athens (pretty boat ride, and then you arrive at the bottom of the steep cliff, which is AWESOME) which was a lot cheaper than flying and didn't take long at all. The most expensive hotels are on the steep cliff, but if you stayed on the far side of the island (where it's pretty flat) for a few days, you'd have more beaches and it saves a lot of money. And OMG get married there. I had a pretty big wedding (husband's idea, actually - I wanted to elope to an island) which was a lot of fun, but I still wish I had gone elsewhere to save the money of a big wedding here. Anyway, I'm SO glad you love it. Oh, and there's TONS of awesome wineries on Santorini with free tastings. YUM.

Phoenix said...

Thank you so much for the recommendations! I found some great deals too so I can hardly wait to go :)

Amie said...

I so hope you do! Don't mind me, I'm just living vicariously through you.

Post a Comment